Friday, October 8, 2010

Dear Landlord,

I don't care that your brother needs a place to live. I don't care that you might be having business problems with the current renter which I am subleasing from.

What I do care about though is the fact that I have a lease with you and you are breaking it for absolutely no legitimate reason and leaving me homeless. I care that while I should be packing for an awesome trip to China, I am packing up my small and apparently insignificant life to start living as a drifter. I care that every time I show up to look at an apartment the price suddenly changes from 600,000Tugrik to 600 US Dollars - a significant increase of about 200USD. A jump which takes an apartment from the realm of affordable to the realm of impossible.

My favorite moment so far in apartment hunting was when we were meeting with our third or fourth landlord of the day yesterday and the reason he gave us for not dropping the price was that "he needed money for things". True, I'm sure. We all "need money for things". But, he is barking up the wrong girl on that front. You need money? You? A wealthy businessman who rents to foreigners on the side? And you plan to get that money from NGO workers who get paid a salary that is lower than the rent of the apartment? I appreciate your plight sympathetically, I'm sure. But, I'll just keep looking.

Or, new favorite moment of the day, when another landlord wanted us to help her run her company and teach English in exchange for lower rent. I swear, if one more person, company, or otherwise wants me to teach English in exchange for anything other than a salary I will scream.

Anyways, landlord - I have a few choice words and accompanying songs for you. (Click the words to hear/watch the songs...)

Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you.

Love, Bridget