Thursday, September 16, 2010

backgui tom

When I first moved to UB, it didn't feel much different than moving across the country. The biggest differences were the language barrier and the time difference. And, I still maintain that feeling. Shopping in UB doesn't make me feel any better than shopping in the US. And, Ice cream still makes everything better.
However, when I do shopping here instead of having to try things on for hours and going home discouraged, now I just have to walk into a shop and they look at me and go "backgui tom." Kind translation "We don't have your size." Actual translation: "Holy shit, I don't think I've ever carried clothes or shoes big enough to fit you. You mammoth." Okay, so that might be an exaggeration. But, it still doesn't make for happy shopping trips. I've even been losing weight like crazy, so that most of the clothes I brought with me are baggy. And, usually while shoe shopping is kind to the ego - they don't really have sizes larger than an (American) 8. I wear a 10. It's swell. At least the ice cream is cheaper and still delicious enough to sooth a smarting ego.